|The Rev. Arthur Townley
Parker was incumbent at St. Peter’s from 1855 to 1901. He became the first Rector
of Burnley in 1867 when St. Peter’s ceased to be a chapelry
of Whalley and became a parish in its own right. He continued the
work of Robert Mosley Master in establishing more new parishes in
Burnley. He also promoted the legal changes that established the
bishopric of Burnley.
|This engraving shows the
church before the porch was added in 1889. In 1872 the chancel
had been extended in memory
of General Scarlett. A vestry was built at the east end of the south
aisle. Above it was the organ, moved from the west end of the church.
These photographs below show the interior
of the church in c.1900.
The hospital was opened in 1886 by Prince
Albert Victor. It cost £21,578
and was paid for by public subscription.
|A Burnley Weaving
By the end of the 19th century Burnley could claim to be the
cotton-weaving capital of the world, with more looms than any other
place. Coal-mining and textile engineering were also very important
in the town.