VICTORIAN BURNLEY (Cont.)

Burnley’s First M.P.

On 13th November 1868 Burnley elected its first Member of Parliament. He was Richard Shaw, a Burnley solicitor and businessman who represented the Liberal Party.

His Conservative opponent was General Scarlett, who lived at Bank Hall and worshipped at St. Peter’s. He had led the successful charge of the Heavy Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava during the Crimean War.

Sir James Yorke Scarlett.

 
Burnley Grammar School in c. 1865.

Dr Butler , the headmaster is on the right. At this time the school was at a low ebb. The old building was dilapidated and pupils were few. In 1871 the governing body was reorganised. Representatives of the Borough Council and the recently formed School Board were included in return for financial support.

This new building was opened in 1874. It was designed by the local firm of architects, William Waddington.

 
Burnley Market Hall.

In 1865, the Corporation took over control of the town’s markets. A new market hall was opened in 1870 The building was designed by James Green but the tower was never built.

 
Burnley Town Hall.

It was designed by Holtom and Fox of Dewsbury and opened in 1888. The Council had previously met in a room over the fire station and then in the Public Hall In Elizabeth Street.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PAGE 4 ON VICTORIAN BURNLEY.

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO FIRST PAGE ON VICTORIAN BURNLEY.

  KEY: