|Burnley from Springhill
South Parade and Market Street (now Manchester Road ) lead into
the centre of the town. Numerous mill chimneys indicate how important
the cotton industry had become, but sheep still graze near the
town centre. On the left can be seen the railway viaduct opened
in 1848 when the railway reached Burnley. On the right are the
railway goods yard and the roof of Thorneybank Station.
Acts 1846 & 1854.
By the 1840s Burnley was administered by a confusing number of
committees and boards. These two Acts of Parliament placed the
running of the town in the hands of Commissioners elected by the
ratepayers. They were responsible for the amenities of the town
and the supply of water and gas
|Burnley Mechanics Institute,
This was founded in 1834. The building on Manchester Road was
opened in 1855 It soon became the centre of academic and social
life in the town. It housed a subscribing library and technical
and art schools.
|Bank House Pit c. 1860.
By the 1850s coal mining was becoming important in Burnley. There
were many small pits near the Centre and by the end of the century
other, larger ones, had been sunk in the town.
|Charter of Incorporation,
By 1861, Burnley’s population had
reached over 28,000 and the town was granted the status of a
Borough. The newly-elected
Council met for the first time in January when John Moore was elected