Victorian Burnley.

The second half of the 19th century saw Burnley develop into the cotton-weaving capital of the world. By 1900 it had almost 100,000 inhabitants. As the population increased the Town Committee could no longer cope with administering of the town. Improvement commissions were set up and finally in 1861 Burnley was incorporated as a borough.

As Burnley grew in size, St Peter’s was no longer able to accommodate the increased number of worshipers and several daughter churches were built.
 
St. Peter’s in the 1860s. with the school on the left.

In 1854 there were extensive alterations to the church. The nave roof was raised to accommodate five clerestory windows .

 

Inside the church, the Tudor pillars were shortened and slimmed down. Pointed arches were added. The organ was moved to the west end of the church and the large pulpit removed. A new east window was installed to commemorate the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Mosley Master.

 
The Rev. Robert Mosley Master.

He was curate-in-charge from 1826 to 1855. He supervised the building of St. Peter’s School in 1828 and the alterations to the church itself in 1853-4. He masterminded the development of six new parishes to meet the needs of the growing town. He was called the ‘clogging parson’ because he saw to the provision of clogs for barefoot children. He died in 1867.

CLICK HERE FOR THE NEXT PAGE ON VICTORIAN BURNLEY.

  KEY: