|Lowerhouse Printworks c.1830.
This is the earliest known picture of a textile factory in the
Burnley area. It was begun by Peel and Yates in 1795 as a spinning
mill. The Peels also owned a spinning mill at the bottom of Sandygate,
which in 1790 was the first in Burnley to be powered by steam.
In 1815 the Lowerhouse factory was taken over by the Dugdale family.
It became a printworks when they opened a new mill in 1836.
“Formerly the trade
of the town was confined to woollens or worsted goods, but
of cotton has almost entirely superseded that trade. Upon the
rivers are cotton factories and print works of a very extensive
nature. Upwards of 3,000 pieces of calico are manufactured each
week in the town and neighbourhood, and the number of spindles
in motion exceed 60,000.”
Pigot's Commercial Directory, 1828