Early 19th Century.
|The Rev. John Raws was
assistant curate at St. Peter’s from c. 1887 to 1834, a period
when most of the incumbents were absentees For much of the time
he was also the headmaster of Burnley Grammar School. He lived
on Bank Parade; Raws Street commemorates his name. He was a conscientious
man, down to earth and well-liked by all. His memorial can be seen
in the north aisle of the church.
|Bar and Canal Aqueduct.
In 1801, the Leeds and Liverpool Canal was
opened through Burnley and played a major part in the development
of the town. This drawing
shows the aqueduct in the embankment carrying the canal across
the town. The “straight mile” is regarded as one of
the wonders of the British canal network. In the foreground is
the toll bar on Eastgate - now Yorkshire Street.
|Improvement Act, 1819.
This set up the Police Circle, an area of ¾ mile radius
from the merestone or marker outside the Bull Inn in St. James’s
Street. The Act was not implemented and the administration of the
town remained in the hands of a Town Committee elected by the Vestry
Meeting set up in 1817.
In 1787, William Todd started a Sunday School
in his home on Dawson Square opposite the church. This became
associated with St. Peter’s.
In 1828, a day school was opened, which still operates as the oldest
elementary school in Burnley, A second school was opened in Pickup
Croft in 1845 .
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1ST PAGE OF EARLY 19th CENTURY
CLICK HERE FOR PAGE
3 OF EARLY 19th CENTURY BURNLEY