Early 19th Century.

By the beginning of the 19th century, Burnley was developing into an industrial town. In 1841 the population had grown to over 14,000. The centre of the town had moved from out side St. Peter’s to its present location on St. James’s Street. Cotton Manufacturing was replacing woollens as the main industry.

At the start of the 19th century, St. Peter’s was the only Anglican church in Burnley and had to cater for a rapidly increasing population. In 1789 and 1802-3 there had been extensive alterations to the building. The following engravings show the appearance of the church as it was in the first part of the 19th century.

In 1789 the south aisle had been completely rebuilt and included a gallery. In 1802-3 the tower had been raised by 30 feet to house a peal of eight bells. At the same time the height of the north aisle was increased to incorporate a gallery. In the street in front of the church can be seen the base of the market cross of 1617 and the stocks.


Medallion struck from the metal of the new bells.


Inside the church, the organ was placed in front of the east window and there was a large three-decker pulpit.


The west gallery had been installed in 1837 and the other galleries during the alterations of 1789 and 1802-3.