20th Century Burnley.

In 1923 the church bells were found to be unsafe. They were re-cast and dedicated in 1925. The photograph shows Bishop Henn in procession at the dedication service.

 

Road widening outside St. Peter’s, 1928.

As the use of the motorcar increased, improvements to many roads became necessary. Here the bridge over the River Brun near to the church is being widened.

 

Burnley’s first corporation bus, 1924.

The first routes served parts of the town that did not have trams. The buses were designed by the Tramways Department with seats running lengthways as in trams. Gradually trams were replaced by buses and finally ended in 1935.

 

Burnley Central Library.

The library was opened by Lord Elgin in July 1930. The Carnegie U.K. Trust gave £16,000 towards the total cost of £37.000. There had previously been free municipal libraries at Trafalgar Street and Colne Road.

 

Education in the Borough.

Following the Education Act of 1902, School Boards were abolished and the Borough Council became responsible for education in the town. This chart illustrates the educational opportunities available in Burnley in the 1920s.

CLICK HERE FOR PAGE 4 ON 20th CENTURY BURNLEY.

CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1st PAGE ON 20th CENTURY BURNLEY.

  KEY: